Job Opportunity: ekosgen Research Consultant
- Are you committed to a career in economic and social development?
- Would you like to support clients to realise their economic inclusion and growth ambitions?
- Do you want a role with variety in a business that gives you the opportunity to grow?
- If so, ekosgen has the role for you!
What’s the business all about?
ekosgen is a high quality, evidence based, social and economic research consultancy. We offer advice to a wide range of clients in the economic and social development and regeneration sector from our three offices across the UK. Our clients are predominantly in the public and voluntary sectors and include the Scottish, UK Governments and devolved administrations, local authorities, the NHS, Skills Development Scotland and the enterprise agencies
Support includes providing technical assistance to improve performance, access funding, or to undertake strategic planning to meet partner and government objectives. We help our clients to enhance their understanding of the future directions of economies, initiatives, businesses, and local communities. We also help clients to satisfy reporting requirements for government organisations, agencies and funding bodies, and provide strategic, operational and action-oriented support. Our work environment is very stimulating and we are committed to doing the very best for our clients through exceptional execution. Find out more about us at www.ekosgen.co.uk
In Glasgow we currently have a team of six consultancy staff serving clients across Scotland and more widely in the UK. We also have offices in Manchester and Sheffield serving the English market.
How would we sum it up?
If you want a career in social and economic policy development, politics, the community or local government this is the perfect place to deepen your knowledge and hone your skills in this highly competitive field. You would be joining a small but very well respected team that has an excellent reputation in Scotland, the North West and Yorkshire and beyond. You will have the opportunity to work with and learn from talented and bright individuals in an engaging, committed working environment - what more could you want?
We are looking for Research Consultants/Consultants (dependent on experience) in our Glasgow office.
What have we been working on?
Our team works on high profile commissions across the UK to both guide and evaluate economic development initiatives. Examples of studies we are currently delivering for clients include:
- Undertaking an assessment of the social and economic impact of the V&A design museum in Dundee
- Evaluating the impact of two programmes to support the development of tourism businesses and the sector in Scotland
- Developing an aquaculture workforce development strategy for the State of Maine in USA
- Evaluating the impact of an employability support programme over a three year period. The programme works with people who face complex barriers to working
- Developing skills evidence bases for rural Scotland and for sectors such as Digital Technologies, Early Learning and Childcare and STEM
- Preparing audits of the science and innovation capabilities and growth potential for targeted sectors in Scotland and Northern Ireland
- Undertaking UK wide research in to the opportunities and growth constraints for the marine economy
- Examining the application of Nudge theory in community justice
What would you be doing?
You will support senior consultants and project managers including Directors of the business with a range of social and economic policy research activities and projects similar to those above. Typical activities include:
- Desk research using a wide variety of official data sources and the internet.
- Study fieldwork including research interviews (face-to-face and telephone).
- Manipulation, analysis and presentation of study data in a range of formats.
- Writing and formatting iterative reports.
- Designing presentations.
- Maintaining management information systems in line with company practice and policy.
- Project support, administration and co-ordination activities.
- Keeping up to date on social and economic policy and developments in the UK.
This is a role with broad exposure and responsibility across a range of economic and social policy, something which you would rarely have in larger organisations and will help to accelerate your learning in this complex area at pace.
What type of person are we looking for?
With a good Honours degree (2:1 or higher) and ideally a postgraduate degree in economics, social geography or similar, we need someone who is flexible, a team player, self-motivated, great at multi-tasking and who exhibits professionalism, even when under pressure. The successful candidate will be ambitious, motivated and committed to making a difference to the world they live in and be
Strengths in statistical work, including analysing and presenting quantitative data are a must as are good organisational skills, and excellent writing and IT skills.
What do we offer in return?
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package including:
- 35 days holiday
- Employer contribution pension scheme
- Employee wellbeing initiatives such as cycle to work scheme and travel pass funding
- A positive and supportive work culture where people are supported to realise their full potential (including through a performance and career management system and training)
- Staff Wellbeing Package which includes free dental and optical care, GP helpline and subsidised gym membership
- Performance Related Bonus
We are an Equal Opportunities employer. We do not discriminate on the grounds of gender, race, disability, religion, age or sexuality.
Sound good to you? If you like the sound of the role, then send us your CV and covering letter telling us why you want to work with us. Please send it to [email protected] by 31st October 2019.
Further details can be found on the ekosgen website.