Job creation for inclusive growth in cities
Joseph Rowntree has published a report that identifies 'more and better jobs' in UK cities.
The report shows:
- There is a significant shortfall in labour demand in 12 major UK cities.
- Local industrial strategies can raise labour demand in cities and can complement supply-side policies.
- Policy interventions should be based on clear and robust aims and rationales, and careful coordination with supply-side initiatives.
- The priorities for demand-side policies are:
- Identifying and targeting inclusive growth sectors, fostering demand-led skills development, building closer employer engagement and partnership focused on priority sectors.
- Lobbying for greater devolved powers, and strengthening policy analysis and evaluation frameworks.